The 90Q (07k?)

Document and share your build!

Re: The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Mcstiff » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:35 pm

Looks great, glad to see more 07k swaps!
Mcstiff

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Yeah it’s encouraging to see a few parts out there because I think the ability to find a few of them makes a big difference for someone wanting to do the swap. Just being able to put it in the car and start fabbing is big.
the oil filter relocation block , and exhaust manifold flange are currently available . It would be nice Of course to have engine mounts , oil pan , billet intake manifold flange available .

I’m learning a lot on this one and I have that 4000 parts /sheet metal donor that i set up so I can use it when I get time to see what it would be like to lay out the accessories a little differently because next time there would be a few things I would change in that area
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm

I just can’t get a big enough oil filter , in that location, with my setup so I want to go remote mount .

If I use the remote mount , and use an inline thermostat , I can ensure that 100% is the oil is getting filtered , regardless of whether it goes to the cooler or not .

Something like this

It also provides me with some extra opportunities and I was considering providing the oil for the turbo from here , downstream of the filter but before the oil gets back to the block. Yes, Still beating a dead horse but I may have come up with a better idea to feed the turbo . This way I’m not pulling it from the head or block , but I’m supplying it from upstream of the takeoff for both , in addition I’m also supplying the turbo upstream of the port inside the engine block that goes back to the pump to adjust pressure.

I don’t know , I’m gonna take a look at it .
Biggest hurdle is still where I can fit the cooler . I could put it in front of the radiator but I’m not sure about that .

Now I’m taking a look at where that cooler can go . I may be able to fit it behind the grill and in front of my charge pipe . In front of the intercooler would be easy but I hat to put it there

I’m going to swap this pulley out and move the intercooler back about 3/4” as well, it makes sense to .
Afterthought

Postby audifreakjim » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:30 pm

I think you know I went for option upper passenger side. That's a pretty big cooler, about twice the size of mine. Are you married to it? I've never had oil temp issues. With proper shrouding, you could reduce the size of that quite a bit.
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:29 pm

audifreakjim wrote:I think you know I went for option upper passenger side. That's a pretty big cooler, about twice the size of mine. Are you married to it? I've never had oil temp issues. With proper shrouding, you could reduce the size of that quite a bit.

I could go smaller with it , something like the setrab ones I usually run in my other cars . I could see what the next size down is and if i do that I would have the ability to fit it right in that spot .
For now it’s either mount it down low , or start the change over to B4 hood which I wasn’t going to get into yet . I want it eventually but I am missing the upper outer core support pieces , I only have the center , and even then I don’t think I could be able to run the hood latch then .

So I’ll do some measuring I guess
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:06 pm

For comparison this is a Setrab series 6 19-row . It’s my “spare” for my urq . It fits barely . So what that tells me is I’m either going to jump down to a 16-row or I could move the intercooler down about an inch , which is not a problem, and run this .
P/N 50-619-7612
Dimensions are below . Well except the mount ears are cut off (that’s how I got it) so the A , dimension doesn’t exist, just the “B”
Afterthought

Postby audifreakjim » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:35 am

That's the exact 19 row I am running. I'm not a fan of stacking coolers unless you have to. But that's just me:)
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:05 am

Yeah I agree with you there . I would hate to run this big intercooler and then preheat the air going into it.
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:37 am

Not much progress but worked some small details .

Added a fitting to the radiator for the hose to the coolant expansion tank .

Since I am now going to fit the intercooler up top, I had to do something different with the intake .

Unfortunately I can’t just put the filter right there because I don’t think I’d ever be able to plug the headlight in .

So I guess I have two options either run it like this and make a head shield of air box around it . It’s quite close to the turbo this way.

Or run the stubby filter and just leave it right behind the turn signal

Also made a bracket to the secure the radiator.

Made a catch can

Haven’t figured out where it’s going to go yet.

Last thing I did was try and see where I can put the oil filter if I want to run a larger filter.
This is one available spot but it’s tight and I don’t know if I can get the in/out fittings in there .
Afterthought

Postby audifreakjim » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:35 pm

More back seat driving if you don't mind. I immediately found a 3" inlet to be a restriction on the turbo air filter. In my case I had ordered the wrong one and just decided to run it, but quickly swapped it out. Go for a 4" setup if possible. It's amazing how tuning works on the 07k compared to the old platform. It just wants to breath and make power so you can more easily diagnose things like this because the response is noticeable even without a dyno.
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:36 pm

audifreakjim wrote:More back seat driving if you don't mind. I immediately found a 3" inlet to be a restriction on the turbo air filter. In my case I had ordered the wrong one and just decided to run it, but quickly swapped it out. Go for a 4" setup if possible. It's amazing how tuning works on the 07k compared to the old platform. It just wants to breath and make power so you can more easily diagnose things like this because the response is noticeable even without a dyno.

Oh yeah, of course I don't mind. I appreciate any input.
Just about every piece I have made for this car, I have found at a later stage in the build that it has some limitation or constraint. ha. For example when I made this header , I put the turbo pretty far forward- and I did that because it helped me equal out the amount of bends and length in each runner, and also makes the downpipe clearance better. However, now I am realizing that it makes it a little harder to fit an intake . That's easy to fix though.

I may have a 4" filter I can test fit but I'm not sure, I will look. If I wanted to I could run it down low.
The piping is 3" / 2.75" ID now, then it necks down to 60mm turbo inlet. So are you saying for example that if I was to leave the piping the same , and do nothing but upsize the filter to 4" I would still see a gain? Or is that 60mm inlet ultimately going to be the restriction? If I can I would upsize everything if I can find the space for it.
Afterthought

Postby Afterthought » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:17 pm

Ok I shortened that piece a little . If I want to run a 4” inlet filter there are 2 options . Next to the turbo and add a heat shield or behind the intercooler
Afterthought

Postby PRY4SNO » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:58 pm

If you can prevent water ingress, I'd wager you'd get less heat soak and better airflow from below.
Find me on Instagram @pry4sno

|| 2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
|| 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24vt 4x4 #bertancummins
|| 1992 80 quattro 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
|| 1990 Coupe quattro /// Because Racecar
PRY4SNO

Postby Afterthought » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:02 pm

PRY4SNO wrote:If you can prevent water ingress, I'd wager you'd get less heat soak and better airflow from below.

Yeah here are my thoughts .
Up top looks cooler , but by the time I cover it up with a heat shield that won’t matter .
Down low probably has better function and more room for making an air box around it . I guess I will look into both . I need to make a 4” x 3” aluminum cone to transition to that size so that will take up some room too
Afterthought

Postby audifreakjim » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am

For me water ingest was not a concern. But I can understand not wanting to drench the filter in the moistness of the PNW for normal driving. If you are concerned about big puddles, you're only three bolts away from turning it into a snorkel!
audifreakjim

Postby Afterthought » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:06 am

Well it’s done for now . I couldn’t really decide between up top or down below so , I started with this for now . I think to put it up top I’d have to put a whole box around it with ducting into it , and this is pretty simple for now - nice short run. Will need some heat shielding by the exhaust

Also got my B4 core support on. Although I have no lights for it yet . Will have to secure it to the cross member I made and then see what space is left for the oil cooler there . Should be plenty
Afterthought

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Oil cooler ...

Afterthought

Postby Afterthought » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Got my catch can finished off with some parts from ACE hardware .

The car won’t sit this low but the good news is I think I have clearance all around with these wheels probably room
To go even wider on the tires .

Also painted the core support

That’s it for now but I’m getting excited to drive this thing . Need to get moving on it
Afterthought

Postby jbrentd » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:56 am

Looking good! I'd like to get some KWs to replace my DIY coilovers, but just can't justify it right now. I hear they ride really nice.
jbrentd

The 90Q (07k?)

Postby Afterthought » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:18 am

jbrentd wrote:Looking good! I'd like to get some KWs to replace my DIY coilovers, but just can't justify it right now. I hear they ride really nice.

Well I was initially going to do 2bennett / Ground control custom and I have always been perfectly happy with that, it’s what I run in my URQ. We will see how this compares . I’m excited to see what it’s like.
Afterthought

Postby themagellan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks for providing some awesome lunchtime viewing content :) way to go! Almost there!

You are going to be thrilled with the KW choice, for a daily static setup it’s the ultimate.
themagellan

Postby Afterthought » Fri May 01, 2020 3:45 pm

I think it will be great . I was trying to get the koni and 2B setup but I couldn’t get 2B to call me back to discuss the details . this will be nice to compare with and literally every single person I asked recommended this over that. Also the customer service is good, and I had the suspension within a few weeks of ordering .

. I am thinking of possibly adding a larger rear sway bar as well, but that means I will have to pull the rear subframe out , clean it up, and weld tabs to it, not that hard I know but , Might not do it right away as I kind of want to focus on things that will continue to work towards get the car running .
Afterthought

Postby themagellan » Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 pm

For the rsb - In my experience with awd/fwd cars - one of the most important aspects of the suspension setups is making sure the front has a bit more grip than the rear.

Non specific to the 90Q - You could rely on the spring rates to do that - or you could soften the front (20-30%) dampening settings on the front to reduce the understeer(Or increase the rear with the same range). Since they're adjustable maybe start here then add the rsb - never bad to save a few minor projects for down the road.

I would say though on an older FWD car it's a must have. I will definitely be adding one to my 200q at some point.
themagellan

Postby Afterthought » Wed May 13, 2020 9:01 pm

No progress in a bit really.

I did find a good way to run the oil to the turbo without taking it off the head I think.
Banjo fitting .

Ran out of AN fittings but I’ll
Do the rest of the hoses soon.

Got the coils fitted . Stock coils were too long, I did the same thing boost brothers did by removing the stock rubber boot/sleeve thing from stock 07k coil, trimming some length off that boot. then put that boot on the new coil.

Afterthought

Postby highlander69 » Sun May 17, 2020 1:55 pm

Looking Awesome !!

Cant' wait to see it running.

:beer: :drive:
highlander69

PreviousNext

Return to Projects