CQ project, the road less traveled (They're never done)

Document and share your build!

CQ project, the road less traveled (They're never done)

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:47 pm

This is my take on the CQ to S2 conversion. Here's the thing though, I'm not doing it the way it is typically done. I got an AAN for a reason. actually many reasons.

Intake manifold doesn't route over the exhaust manifold, and it is as efficient flowing as they come stock.
Ignition system is more efficient with Cam position sensor which eliminates Distributor mess.
Serpentine belt as opposed to three V-belts gives me more room up front. every inch counts with this build.
Front mounted radiator not that that makes a difference in general but, in this case it does.
Better t-belt set up with separate tensioner and water pump becomes stationary.
There are a bit more of them around than the 3B so better coverage on used parts.
No fuss no muss for tuning.

I picked up the motor and 01E 5sp trans, wiring harness, motronic computer with MTM stage 1+ already in it for about 2K, of course I had to pull them.
after pulling the motor, noticed that it was too clean for a motor with as many miles as the odo said. turns out it may have been a new factory replacement. I got really lucky with a lot of things on this build.

I decided to use as many OEM parts as I possibly could do. In order to save money in the long run, and for the future. Most everything I'm doing to this car follows that same philosophy. I'd rather not have a radiator specially built then have problems with it down the road, but due to space restraints I eventually had no choice.

there will be a few things that will have to be specially built but only because its the most logical way to do it. for instance, I will be building an Air Over Water intercooler that I will be putting in place of the old rad and condenser. that is the most logical thing to do in this instance, and its the best way to engineer the induction system anyway.

I will still have a few things to finish and will keep anyone who is interested updated with the progress. hope to get it running and on the road by the first part of May.

here are a few pics. I have already done most of the work.
feel free to ask me about anything I have done to this car.
Last edited by scubadave on Sun May 24, 2015 9:50 am, edited 14 times in total.
scubadave

Postby speeding-g60 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:06 pm

looks good. nothing wrong with another CQ thread. i have two of them myself....

i spy some 5-lugs already done to it. and nice RS2 rep bumper. i like that one....

looks like you need to find some B4 H4/H1's now, the 1 pc'ers. or RS2 projectors....
speeding-g60

Postby Audilard » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:12 pm

That RS2 bumper is the real deal.

Nice Dave! Looks fantastic. When will you be working on the intercooler?
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:20 pm

I will be trying to hang an exaust on it in the next couple of weeks. then I will begin the intake and AOW intercooler.
scubadave

Postby speeding-g60 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:22 pm

Audilard wrote:That RS2 bumper is the real deal.

oops... never seen real one i guess... how do you tell? the holes in the top or where the fogs mount? i think thats what i notice by looking closer at any rate.
speeding-g60

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:25 pm

pushed it out today and let her stretch her legs and washed her off too.

Attachment ( 15452 ) : IMAGE_140.jpg
scubadave

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 pm

darin actually knows most of what I have done already. we dont live very far from eachother.

Attachment ( 15453 ) : IMAGE_141.jpg
scubadave

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:34 pm

yes, I hung the b4 lights in just for mock up. I am actively looking for rs2 projetors. I will also be doing porsche front brake upgrade. and will need a few things for the suspension, like solid front lower control arms and all things that make better.
scubadave

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Nice! Didn't know it was 5 lugged, perhaps mine will be that way some day. I'm excited to see how close this project is to running, we are going to be representing 5 cylinders in a major way!
Dave

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:40 pm

yea, I did that conversion about 6 years ago. real s2 front/rear hubs, real s2 front rotors, 1.8t rear rotors of course. but since the rotors arent avail. in us I diddnt expect to run them for very long.
scubadave

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:Nice! Didn't know it was 5 lugged, perhaps mine will be that way some day. I'm excited to see how close this project is to running, we are going to be representing 5 cylinders in a major way!

Ive represented 5cyls since I was 15 back in 1990 and bought my first Audi: 1980 5K FWD 5sp. 0-60 in ...........stilll waiting!
scubadave

Postby speeding-g60 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:09 pm

i just may decide to part with the spare cast control arms i am sitting on here. i gave up trying to figure out how to mount them to the rear of my race chassis. one already has the bushings removed as well :D

i see the RS2 projectors all the time on ebay.de. but for me its too hard to justify for the daily driver coupe of my wife. last set i bid on i lost, final price was $340 or so, with the HID conversion already done. i was plenty of :curses: that time.
speeding-g60

Postby Audilard » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:21 pm

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:Nice! Didn't know it was 5 lugged, perhaps mine will be that way some day. I'm excited to see how close this project is to running, we are going to be representing 5 cylinders in a major way!

No kidding. Imagine Hank's Urq, Dave and Dave in their AANs and my CQ all together at the track or an Audi get-together. Should be a riot!!
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:26 pm

Audilard wrote:

No kidding. Imagine Hank's Urq, Dave and Dave in their AANs and my CQ all together at the track or an Audi get-together. Should be a riot!!

dont forget Kelly cox and my old red rocket (think of south park) or his URS4
scubadave

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm

for those who dont know, I built an 86 4KQT. and it was red. and it was really fast, and fun and bad A!! I used to rev it up to 5500 and drop the hammer and try to break it. it would not. no matter how much I abused it.
scubadave

Postby Hank » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Looks good dude!! Lets get it done!
Hank

Postby AudiSport4000 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:12 pm

:stupid:
1986 4kq CE
1991 200 20v wagon
AudiSport4000

Postby a_CQ » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:49 am

Clean car. I like the 'OEM' approach. Now, tell me more about your front mount radiator setup.
a_CQ

Postby scubadave » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:20 am

sup guys. still trying to get all my ducks in a row. those damn ducks keep wandering around like they got something better to do.

I did get the car to the shop so I could get it on a lift. I hate having to flat back all the time. so anyway, got it there, on a lift while I was slow, cut the rest of the old exaust off. talked to kelly, he said hank said a couple of weeks out on some flanges. Thanks Hank. Your the man! i can wait for it. there's other things I can do to pass the time. besides. its at the shop with my real tools. time to play mechanic.

Since its at my work, I can spend more time than a few hours a week. and I will be taking pics of the rad setup, and front end since there is interest in how it was put together.

looks like I need to get more parts. guess ill be getting the AOW intercooler and the intake piping. may as well take advantage of having it at the shop.

Kudos on ya daren for your car driving. I want a ride dude. I want to know how my port work feels. Id like to aslo thank whomever did the grunt work on that so all I had to do was finish and tweek it. I want to do that to mine but I dont like the idea of spending hours upon hours hogging out the ports on it. Ill just have to find a spare head to do it at my leisure. besides, Im finishing doing that to my spare 7A head that I no longer need.
scubadave

Postby Audilard » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Come on over after this next round of snow clears and we can go for a ride. It's a blast.
Darin
1989 80 20vt
Audilard

Postby scubadave » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:37 am

first, sorry to all those who have been waiting for me to post my writeup on the front mounted radiator. Ive been kinda busy. trying to keep ducks lined up. and sorry that I dont have a decent camera. all I have is my phone.

ok so first, I got the front rad support from a 2.8L 90. put it in and its too high in the middle. cut, lowered about 1-1 and 1/2 inches. welded back together. but with original rad, all of the nipples are on the drivers side as well as the temp switch. so had to mod for that as well.

with these mods in place, the snub mount lines up perfectly.

so now I make brackets for the rad mounts. used alum and the original mounts. you have to hold the rad up and line it up just right so it all fits like it interlocks. then bend the brackets for the right height. there is alot of trial and error. thats the fun of fabrication eh?

with the bottom mounts set, I decided to see how it fits between the headlights. at first It diddnt fit. there wasnt enough room between the lights. I got to looking about how I could get more room. I realized I may be able to push the engine and trans back a bit. so I slotted all the brackets and got about 3/4 of an inch.

after getting more room up front, the rad almost had enough room between the lights. looking at the side tanks I saw I could shave a bit off and gain more room. even just a little.

so with the headlights somewhat handled, now for the upper mounts. I had to cut the upper support and safety catch cause it and the rad occupied the same space. so the original upper mounts would not work in this instance. so, more fab. I had some alum angle, drilled holes, attached to the holes in the front.

used secondary rad mounts from a 200t. they were smaller, just the perfect size.

used smaller alum bar, twisted it 1/4 turn to attach to the housings for the headlights. its quite solid.

now with the rad installed, secure, o and by the way, yes you can use the sec fan and shrouding . it all fits together quite nicely. there is some trimming. but its all minor.

anyway, there was an issue with the hose to the reservoir. the original went to the back of the rad in the stock location. now that the rad is in front, the hose isnt long enough and it crosses the path of where I plan to put the AOW intercooler. so I needed to route it differently. also the end of the hose was too small for the nipple on the rad. I got to looking and on my spare 2.8L SOHC there was a pipe that connected to the res. and was long enough with nearly the right shape. with a little tweek here and there I got it routed between the carbon canister and the headlight washer bottle.

I attached it to the frame so it wouldnt move and cause problems.

there will be a few more pics to come to show underneath and the back side, temp switch, hoses. Its quite slick how it fit together. of course, its better to see that in person. hope this makes sense.
scubadave

Postby Justin517 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:03 am

awesome setup!
Justin517

Postby scubadave » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:02 am

thanks alot.
scubadave

Postby scubadave » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:07 am

heres a couple more pics.

scubadave

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:05 am

update! oh and i'm sending you a PM...