Resurrecting another CGT! (Mieke)

Document and share your build!

Resurrecting another CGT! (Mieke)

Postby mpyatov » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 pm

Good day friends!

After another long absence due to this thing called life I've returned with another CGT! The car comes with a bit of a story. The former owner was Mike Smith, one of our fellow petrol heads with a taste for the 4 rings. From what I've been told he became ill and passed on, leaving behind a huge lot of parts and this car. Some of you b2 guys may have some of his parts right now if you went to Carlisle last year. Another one of our fellows was nice enough to help his family by taking that van full of b2 parts and the vehicle to redistribute amongst the community. It was from this gentleman that I got the car.

If anyone knows Mike or this car I would love to hear anything more about them. Considering the story surrounding the car and the fact that our people are a rare breed, I thought that the best way to honor him with this car is to put her back on the road so that a piece of him can still join us as we trail brake into corners and call friends to give us a tow because the CIS is acting up again. I've decided to name the car Mieke, in honor of Mike. I know it's a girls name but all my cars are girls! And German! It was as close as I could get.

As it stands the manifolds, airbox and CIS were disconnected as was the timing belt and cover and some miscellaneous bs. I was told the reason for that is that Mike was planning on swapping the head before he passed. There are 2 heads in the trunk, as well as the on that is currently on the engine. One of them is another KX head, the other is a 2.5 head from a Eurovan. Not entirely sure if that's what the swap plan was going to be.

I intend on getting her running again with the stock head and fuel system for the time being. I still have all the CIS components from this car but I also have all of the mechanical parts (no seriously) from my first CGT, Agatha, and amongst those parts is a CIS distributor that has less than 10k on it that worked perfectly before I disassembled her. Considering the dearth of parts (and wiring) I have as spares I should be able to make that happen without too much pain. Eventually the plan is to go to MS2 so that I don't have to hate Bosch.

Agatha I'm building as a race car, albeit very slowly, Mieke I want to keep almost completely stock with the exception of engine management and the few light mods that Mike had already done. It's on lowering springs (brand unknown for now) and the b3 rear caliper conversion. It also has an awesome muffler on it that is in completely the wrong place for some reason. Blue interior with a nearly perfect dash, seats and carpet are in great shape. Analog cluster but that can be changed because I have 2 extra digitals from Agatha. I have all of the trim that's missing in the photo, the center console stuff i removed so I could get to the shifter cage and the door panels were off when I bought it. The horn switch I pulled off because I'm replacing that steering wheel with one that isn't falling apart.

I'm really excited to really get cranking on her so that I can finally come back to Carlisle driving something worthwhile! Particularly a car as special as this one.

Got the center console apart to find out why the shift linkage felt so off and it turns out that the shift lever itself is bentwhole linkage is pushed back about 1.5 inches off center. Trans still runs through the gears and there doesn't seem to be any binding on engagement so it's a little confusing to why it was like this. I'll have to take a look under the heat shield to really know what's going on. Worst case I have the drivetrain from Agatha that is known to be good to go so I can theoretically get it moving without killing myself trying to get these manifolds back on while the engine is in the car. May as well throw a timing belt and a clutch at it while I have it out. Pictured with trans in neutral and "centered." Originally the ball bushing and retaining spring were installed, making it next to impossible to get into any gear but first and second.

More to follow soon!
Last edited by mpyatov on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
79 BMW 320 (Ingrid)
73 Mercedes 220 (Karin)
mpyatov

Re: Acquired yet another CGT! (Mieke)

Postby DE80q » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:48 am

Good to see you started a thread on this. Hopefully it can be moved to the project section.
"If you can't find one, make one"

Dallastown, PA
1991 Audi 80 quattro (10vt project)
1991 Audi Coupe Quattro (project: my first 20v)
2007 Mitsubishi Raider(Dakota in disguise)
2019 Chevy Cruze RS hatch (wife's little red sporty car)
DE80q

Postby Grillage » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:55 am

Congrats! I just got a CGT as well. I'm learning about mine as I go. I'll watch this space for sure
CURRENT
1995 90 Quattro 20VT - 1994 Cabriolet - 5 speed - 1987 Porsche 924S - 1986 Coupe GT

PAST
1993 Audi 90 CS Quattro - 1990 CQ - V8 - 1995.5 Audi S6 - 1993 Audi V8 - 2013 A5 Prestige - 2011 A4 Avant - 1986 Maserati Biturbo Spyder
Grillage

Postby mpyatov » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:36 am

This is my 3rd post-facelift CGT so I'm pretty familiar at this point. Now it's just a matter of applying that knowledge and obtaining the money!
79 BMW 320 (Ingrid)
73 Mercedes 220 (Karin)
mpyatov

Postby jbrentd » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:08 am

Great story! Sound like it’s in good hands. I’ll be watching.
jbrentd

Postby mpyatov » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Good day friends!

I havent been able to get a solid chunk of time to go out and wrench on Mieke so I've been getting in a couple of things here and there a couple minutes at a time. So far I've been able to determine that both window regulator motors are not attached to the door panels but the motors work and the windows don't seem to be to be binding against the track so I'll throw some hardware in there and seem what happens. Fortunately I have several extra regulators so even if the originals are toast, I can still have windows! The shift linkage issue is still baffling me however.

I got under the car and compared it to the known good linkage on Agatha and It doesn't appear to be any different, next step would be to take them off completely and compare them on the bench but that's too much work for not enough benefit. In which case I think the plan is to prep the drivetrain I have sitting on the floor and swap in the whole unit in one shot. It'll make a lot of things a lot easier and that way I'll know for sure that everything on that end is okay. Takes one of the potential problem factors out of the equation. While I'm doing all of that I'm also going to check through both the main harness and the engine harness for continuity and condition. So far everything has looked okay, if a little old and dirty.

I already cleared everything out of the way of the engine so I can just hook it up and yank it out whenever I get around to getting an engine crane and stand. I think I can install the engine with the airbox already in the engine, in which case I'll clean it all and Install it next. Then once the engine and trans are in I can start troubleshooting! And I'll be continuing to troubleshoot until MS2 gets plumbed in.

Also going to be going through the brakes and suspension in the next few weeks to see if I need anything on that end. I didn't like the look of the passenger front ball joint so I'll probably thow a couple of those at it. I'm also going to remove and paint the sway bar and install new bushings and link. I think I have new ones in a box somewhere in the wormhole that is my garage.

MODS! Please move this to the project forum! It was posted in general by accident!

Cheers!
79 BMW 320 (Ingrid)
73 Mercedes 220 (Karin)
mpyatov

Re: Resurrecting another CGT! (Mieke)

Postby mpyatov » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:49 pm

Good day friends!

Got a chance to get some work done over the last couple days. Got the drivetrain pulled out. looks to be in reasonable shape beyond being dirty. The oil pan is surprisingly ding free.
The R8 is always kept in the garage!
Clutch and flywheel are in good shape but are going to be swapped out anyway. With everything out of the way I can prep whichever engine I decide to use and slam it all in together after replacing all the gaskets, water pump, idlers, and attaching the manifolds. The manifolds, brackets, pulleys and accessory cases will all have to be sand blasted and painted.
I already have a painted exhaust manifold, but it's painted red, and wouldn't fit the theme that I'm going for with this car which is going to be black and blue.

I also took the opportunity to power wash everything except the engine. There is still a fair bit of grime on the subframe, but I can reach all that and clean it by hand.

Only other thing left to do with the car beside the drivetrain is to replace the hood and the windshield. I have a hood in my garage (1 of 3) that is already stripped and waiting for paint. It has holes and plates for the hood pins I used in Agatha when the cable failed so I will be using hood pins in Mieke as well. I will be painting the hood as a copy of the German flag because I've always wanted to do that and even if sourced the original paint, I won't be able to make it look the same as the remainder of the car. And the paint on the rest of the car has definitely seen better days.

More updates soon!
79 BMW 320 (Ingrid)
73 Mercedes 220 (Karin)
mpyatov

Postby mrdeye » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Move’n forward, look’n good, nice and clean!!! :thumbsup: :beer:
Mr.
Daily driver: '01 Toyota 4Runner
Project car: '84 Audi Coupe GT
Previous cars:
'95 S6 Avant, '87 5K TQ, '95 VW Golf, '84 VW Jetta turbo diesel, '84 VW GTI
mrdeye

Postby jbrentd » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:43 am

Nice work on that engine bay. At least the layer of grime has had some rust prevention qualities over the years. :)
jbrentd

Postby mpyatov » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Good Day Friends!

Got a little bit more done with disassembly. The upper timing cover is disgusting so it will be blasted and painted.
The engine is now opened up and the news is not that bad. Solid amount of rust in the water passages but no chunks or anything scary. no water in the oil or vice versa.
The head looks good. Not much to talk about, valves aren't really gummed up, no real scoring on the cam, not much in the way of grime.
There is no ring ridge! It certainly is dirty and nowhere near top dead center, but she's okay!
Head gasket off makes it look much better! I hit it with the shop vac just to clear as much as i could without touching anything. But I didn't get a picture of that. Now I just need to clean up and paint the components and put it back together!
Hopefully more to talk about on Saturday!
79 BMW 320 (Ingrid)
73 Mercedes 220 (Karin)
mpyatov

Return to Projects